What is the Selby District Disability Forum?
We work together to look at how to make life better for people with disabilities in the Selby area. Most members have health conditions or disabilities, so we are ‘experts by experience’.
People with disabilities have the right to full participation in society. We work to ensure equal access for all throughout the district.
What do we do?
We identify issues in day to day life that affect people with disabilities, such as;
- Access to local towns or villages
- Shops and services
- Barriers denying equal opportunity
We then look at ways of removing these barriers, supporting local communities and decision makers to find solutions, and make improvements.
- We tell service providers about what is and is not working; advising and supporting them to make things better
- Take part in consultations so that we can use our experiences to help improve services
- Bring issues to the North Yorkshire Disability Forum so that they can be taken up on a county-wide basis
- Provide disability awareness training, advice and opportunities
How does the forum work?
We run informal and friendly meetings regularly throughout the district. These are a great opportunity to share ideas and concerns, support one another and find out about projects to get involved in.
We also take part in local and regional events and opportunities, to network with other organisations and provide the views and experiences of people with disabilities.